Rolled Lemon Sugar Cookies
Extra lemon zest makes these simple refrigerator cookies light and refreshing. Serve them with a fruity sorbet or frost them for a bit of holiday magic.
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon water
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg, lemon peel and vanilla until well blended.
- Gradually add flour and salt. Beat in up to 1 teaspoon water, a few drops at a time, until dough just starts to come away from the sides of the bowl. Shape into a large, flat disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Roll dough onto a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8-inch.
- Cut into desired shapes with flour-coated cookie cutters; place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until beginning to brown around the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.