Spencer's Cottage Crescents
Tender crescent-shaped butter cookies made with cottage cheese, garnished with sliced almonds and drizzled with an almond glaze.
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg white, beaten until foamy
sliced almonds (garnish)
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 to 3 teaspoons warm milk
- For Cookies: With an electric mixer, combine cottage cheese, butter, extract, flour and granulated sugar in medium mixing bowl until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- With lightly floured hands, form into 3 balls. Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, for at least 6 hours.
- Roll each ball on a floured board into a circle about 13-inches in diameter and 1/8-inch thick. Cut each into 8 wedges. Roll each wedge up beginning at the wide end. Place on ungreased cookie sheets, pointed edge of crescent next to sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Brush each crescent with beaten egg white; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- When cool, drizzle with glaze mixture.
- For Glaze: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.