Wholesome, orange-scented spice cookies loaded with good-for-you ingredients like whole wheat, wheat germ, figs, raisins and walnuts.
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup orange juice
1 cup chopped figs
3/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a bowl combine whole wheat flour, flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl blend eggs, butter, honey, molasses, orange peel, vanilla and orange juice. Add liquid to dry ingredients, beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Stir in figs, raisins and walnuts.
- Drop by spoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.