This creamy wonder has a dark chocolate cookie crust filled with delicate almond-flavored cream cheese and a sour cream topping. A rich treat for Sunday dinner, or for a special birthday or romantic dinner.
1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 cup finely chopped almonds
6 tablespoons butter, softened
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Amaretto liqueur
2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
4 large eggs
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine chocolate wafer crumbs, 1/3 cup sugar, almonds and softened butter in a small bowl. Pat the mixture into a 9-inch springform pan; set aside.
- Cream softened cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, cream, Amaretto liqueur, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour over the crust and bake for 1 hour (check at 50 minutes), or until the center is still slightly moist and jiggly. Remove from oven and let stand on a rack. Do not remove spring form yet.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup sugar. Mix well and spread evenly over the cheesecake. Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven; place on a rack and cool. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve, remove the sides from the pan and garnish with toasted slivered almonds.
Makes 12 servings.