Baked Vanilla Cheesecake
Fresh summer berries would complement this vanilla cheesecake like butter on mashed potatoes. Serve it for a special occasion or simply share it with those you love.
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
4 tablespoons ice water
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in 2 tablespoons sugar, egg and up to 4 tablespoons ice water to make a dough. Press into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to fit a 10-inch springform pan. Place dough in the pan without stretching. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese until smooth in a large bowl; add remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar, egg yolks, milk, oil, cornstarch and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into cream cheese mixture. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the center is set. Turn off the oven and let the cheesecake cool in oven with door open slightly. Remove cheesecake from pan and serve or refrigerate.
Makes 10 servings.