Blueberry Meringue Rice Custard
Creamy rice custard topped with lemon-infused blueberry filling and crowned with a fluffy, golden meringue.
3 cups cooked rice
3 cups milk - divided use
1 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
3/4 teaspoon salt - divided use
4 large eggs, separated
2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1 (21-ounce) can blueberry pie filling
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine rice, 2 1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup sugar, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Beat egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup milk. Stir into rice and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Turn into buttered 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Combine blueberry filling and lemon juice. Spread over rice mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°F) for 20 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from oven.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until stiff but not dry. Spread over hot filling, sealing meringue to edges.
- Return to oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until peaks of meringue are golden brown. Cool.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.