Burnt Strawberry Cream
Creamy rice pudding is spooned over strawberries and topped with a crisp, brown sugar crust—a crème brûlée.
3 cups cooked rice
3 cups milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
1 (16-ounce) package frozen sweetened whole strawberries, thawed, drained and sliced in half
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- Combine rice, milk, sugar and salt in saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add cream cheese, broken in small pieces, and vanilla. Stir until cheese is dissolved; chill.
- Fold in whipped cream. Chill thoroughly.
- Arrange strawberries over the bottom of a 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish. Spoon pudding over berries. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Place under broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or just until sugar melts, or use 8 individual ovenproof dishes. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.