Caramel-Bourbon Swirl Cheesecake
A sweet walnut crust makes an ideal base for this decadent cheesecake. Toasted walnut halves are stirred into the caramel bourbon sauce and spooned over the cheesecake just before serving.
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons bourbon or amber rum
3 cups California Walnut pieces
1 cup granulated sugar- divided use
3 tablespoons melted butter
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3 large eggs
1/4 cup bourbon or amber rum
1 cup toasted California Walnut halves
- In small saucepan, combine brown sugar, whipping cream and butter. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; boil for 3 minutes. Remove 1/3 cup of the sauce; refrigerate until chilled. To remaining sauce add 2 tablespoons bourbon; set aside.
- Combine walnut pieces and 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar in food processor; pulse until it resembles coarse crumbs, do not overprocess. Transfer to medium bowl and stir in melted butter. Using back of spoon press nut mixture into bottom and half-way up sides of 9-inch springform pan. Bake in 325°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream cheese with remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended. Stir in 1/4 cup bourbon. Pour cream cheese mixture into nut crust. Drizzle the 1/3 cup chilled sauce on top; gently swirl with knife.
- Return cake to 325°F oven; bake for 1 hour. Turn oven off; leave cheesecake in oven without opening door for another hour, prevents cake from cracking in center.
- Cool on wire rack; cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, gently warm bourbon sauce; stir in toasted walnut halves. To serve, spoon sauce over slices of cheesecake.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Walnuts.