Caramel Ice Cream
Homemade caramel ice cream, every spoonful is a bite of golden bliss.
1 cup granulated sugar
4 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place 1 cup sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until sugar melts and turns golden. Reduce heat to low; gradually add whipping cream and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until smooth.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and flour; stir well. Add to caramelized sugar mixture; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture into freezer container of a 2-quart hand-turned or electric freezer.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Pack freezer with additional ice and salt, and let stand 1 hour before serving.
Makes 1 1/2 quarts.