Caramel Apple Rice Pudding Tart
Creamy rice pudding in a pastry crust, topped with sliced Fuji apples, and served with a drizzle of caramel sauce.
1 sheet prepared refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of 15-ounce package)
1/4 cup butter - divided use
2 Fuji apples, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prepared caramel sauce
- Prepare pie crust according to package directions. Place crust into ungreased 10-inch tart pan, pressing firmly into bottom and up sides of pan. Prick bottom with fork. Bake in a preheated oven at 450°F (230°C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add apples, brandy and cinnamon, cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring until apples are tender. Remove from heat; cool.
- Combine rice, half-and-half, sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons butter and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat 12 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring often. Gradually stir one-fourth hot pudding mixture into eggs; return egg mixture to saucepan, stirring constantly. Continue to cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour pudding mixture into pre-baked crust. Place apple slices on top of pudding overlapping in concentric circles starting at outside edge of tart.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°F); bake 15 minutes or until pudding is set. Cool 15 minutes, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve drizzle with caramel sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.