This country French dessert is made with a layer of dark sweet cherries topped by a zesty, citrus-scented batter.
1 (12-ounce) bag frozen dark sweet cherries, thawed and drained
3 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon orange liquor
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus 6 teaspoons
Pinch of salt
1 cup skim milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Butter six 6-ounce individual quiche dishes. Divide cherries equally over the bottom of each dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, orange liquor, vanilla, lemon zest, 1/3 cup sugar and salt. Slowly blend in milk.
- Add flour and whisk until slightly lumpy.
- Pour batter over cherries and place dishes in the oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the tarts are golden and puffy. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar over the top of each and bake 5 additional minutes.
- Cool dishes on wire rack for 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 242 calories, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 142mg cholesterol, 45g carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 7g protein, 77mg sodium, 8% daily value iron (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Cherry Foundation, through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.