Chocolate-Almond Ice Cream Roll
This elegant chocolate cake roll is filled with butter almond ice cream and served in pool of raspberry sauce, with a garnish of fresh raspberries and melted white chocolate.
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Sifted powdered sugar
1 quart butter-almond or chocolate-almond ice cream, softened*
1 (12-ounce) package frozen loose-pack red raspberries, thawed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Melted white chocolate (optional)
Fresh raspberries (optional)
- Grease and flour a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until lemon-colored. Gradually add the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating on medium speed 5 minutes or until sugar is almost dissolved. Wash beaters.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently just until combined. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake cake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan; turn out onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll up towel and cake, starting from one of the short sides. Cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake. Spread softened ice cream on cake to within 1-inch of edges. Roll up cake without towel. Wrap in foil; freeze 4 hours or up to one week.
- In a blender container or food processor bowl cover and blend or process thawed raspberries on high speed until smooth. Press through a strainer to remove seeds; discard seeds. In a small saucepan stir together the raspberry purée, the 3/4 cup sugar, and the lemon juice. Bring mixture to boiling over medium-low heat. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer sauce to a bowl.
- To serve, slice ice cream roll; place slices on dessert plates. Spoon sauce next to each slice. If desired, decorated sauce using melted white chocolate and garnish with raspberries.
Makes 10 servings.
*Or any flavor ice cream you prefer.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): calories: 830, total fat: 43g, saturated fat: 21g, cholesterol: 273mg, sodium: 278mg, carbohydrate: 104g, fiber: 3g, protein: 8g, vitamin A: 0%, vitamin C: 16%, calcium: 21%, iron: 13%.
Recipe provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.