This luscious chocolate cheesecake is the perfect way to end a special meal, then stand back and wait for it—applause forthcoming.
1 1/2 cups crumbled chocolate wafers (about 28 wafers)
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 cups milk
2 large egg yolks
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken
2 cups (8 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
2 large egg whites
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
Whipped cream (optional)
- For Crust: In a small mixing bowl, stir together crumbled wafers and melted butter. Press mixture evenly over bottom and 1 1/2-inches up sides of a buttered 9-inch springform pan.
- For Filling: In a large saucepan, combine 1/3 cup of the sugar and gelatin. Stir in milk and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Stir in chocolate until melted. Cover and chill until partially set.
- In a blender container, blend cottage cheese until smooth. Fold into chilled chocolate mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/3 cup of the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into chocolate mixture. Fold in 1 cup whipped whipping cream.
- Pour mixture into prepared springform pan. Chill at least 4 hours or until firm.
- If desired, garnish with additional whipped cream and strawberries.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.