Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake
Is it the contrast between tart and sweet, or is it the chewy and creamy textures? Who knows why cherries and chocolate go together? They just do.
1 (9-ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies, crushed into fine crumbs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups whipping cream - divided use
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
3/4 cup cherry liqueur
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- In a large bowl, combine chocolate wafer crumbs and melted butter. Pat firmly into a 9-inch springform pan, covering the bottom and halfway up the sides; refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate chips and 1 1/2 cups cream; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the chocolate mixture, cherry liqueur, and vanilla; mix until blended. Pour into the prepared crust.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Turn the oven off and let stand in oven with door open for 1 hour. Remove from oven, wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Spread cherry pie filling over the top of cheesecake 1-inch from the edge. Decorate the edge with remaining cream whipped to soft peaks.
Makes 12 servings.