Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
Fresh strawberry ice cream, flavored with a splash of Grand Marnier.
8 large egg yolks
2 cups hot milk
1 cup granulated sugar
1 quart heavy cream, whipped
3 cups ripe strawberries, crushed and sweetened to taste - divided use
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
Port wine (optional)
- Beat the egg yolks lightly in a the top of a double boiler; set aside
- In another saucepan combine milk and sugar; heat thoroughly. Do Not Boil. Pour milk mixture over the egg yolks, while whisking constantly.
- Cook mixture in a double boiler over simmering water until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and chill.
- Fold in the whipped cream and 2 cups of the crushed berries. Add Grand Marnier and freeze in ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Serve ice cream with the remaining berries, flavored with a little port wine, if desired.
Makes about 2 1/2 quarts.