Frozen Pineapple Cream Cheese Torte
This frozen dessert recipe was the winner of Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs 'No Bake' Recipe Contest. A sweet, luscious and flavorful torte that is sure to impress all year-round.
1 1/4 (about 5 ounces) cups ground gingersnaps
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup melted butter
4 Safest Choice™ pasteurized eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cups granulated sugar
12 ounces (1 1/2 8 ounce packages) cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup chopped fresh or crushed pineapple, drained well
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons dark rum (or to taste)
- In a medium bowl, combine gingersnaps and panko. Add melted butter and stir until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press into bottom of 8 or 9-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat again until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar until smooth. Add egg yolks and beat well. Mix in pineapple and vanilla.
- In another medium bowl, beat cream until whipped. Fold egg whites into cream cheese mixture, then fold in whipped cream. Pour filling over crust and freeze until set, about five hours or overnight.
- For glaze: Combine sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan. Add pineapple juice and stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Add rum and cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Cool.
- To serve, let the torte sit at room temperature for five to 10 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of the cake to loosen and remove pan sides. Top cheesecake with glaze.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 420; Calories from Fat 250; Total Fat 28g; Saturated Fat 15g; Trans Fat 1g; Cholesterol 145mg; Sodium 230mg; Total Carbohydrate 35g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 26g; Protein 5g.
Recipe and photograph provided by www.safeeggs.com via Brandpoint Content; Copyright 1996-2014.