German Chocolate Cheesecake
A spectacular cheesecake-take on the classic German chocolate cake—with a chocolate wafer crumb crust, a cocoa-infused filling and a creamy, coconut-pecan topping.
1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- For Crust: Stir together first 3 ingredients; press into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 350°F (175°F).
- For Filling: Beat cream cheese and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Pour into prepared crust. Bake for 35 minutes. Loosen cake from pan; cool. Chill 8 hours.
- For Topping: Stir together evaporated milk and next 4 ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 7 minutes. Stir in pecans and coconut; spread over cheesecake.
Makes 12 servings.