Jamaican Rice Cheesecake
Toothsome, rum-spiked cheesecake made with cooked rice, cream cheese and ricotta cheese in a graham cracker crust.
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup finely chopped almonds
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 cups cooked rice
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1/4 cup rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fresh fruit for garnish (optional)
- For Crust: Combine cracker crumbs, almonds, sugar and butter in medium mixing bowl. Press into buttom and 1-inch up sides of ungreased 9-inch springform pan.
- For Filling: Combine rice, sour cream and butter in food processor or blender until well blended; set aside.
- Beat ricotta cheese, cream cheese and sugar in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Blend in rum, vanilla and reserved rice mixture.
- Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°F); for 1 hour and 5 minutes. Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in oven an additional 2 hours. (Do Not open oven door.) Cool. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- For Topping: Combine sour cream, sugar and vanilla; spread over cheesecake. Garnish with fresh fruit, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.