Light and Luscious Strawberry Cheesecake
with Fresh Strawberry Sauce
Light-as-a-feather, lemon-scented cheesecake topped with glazed fresh strawberries and served with a simple strawberry purée.
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons melted margarine or butter
1 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup nonfat light sour cream substitute
2 pint baskets California strawberries, stemmed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1 pint baskets California strawberries, stemmed for garnish
1/4 cup red currant jelly, melted for glaze
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- For Crust: In medium bowl mix crumbs and margarine. Press onto bottom and 2-inches up sides of lightly greased 9-inch springform pan; set aside.
- For Filling: In mixer bowl beat ricotta cheese until smooth. Add the sugar, the flour, egg yolks, lemon peel and vanilla; mix well. Stir in sour cream substitute to blend thoroughly.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold into cheese mixture. Pour into prepared crust; smooth top. Bake 1 hour. Turn off oven; cool in oven 1 hour with door ajar. Remove from oven; chill thoroughly.
For Sauce: In blender or food processor purée strawberries with the sugar and the lemon juice; strain sauce to remove seeds. Cover and chill.
- For Garnish: Halve strawberries and arrange on top of cake. Brush strawberries with jelly.
- To Serve: Cut cake into wedges and serve with sauce.
Makes 14 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/14 of recipe): 290 calories; 12 g fat; 70 mg cholesterol; 170 mg sodium; 40 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 7 g protein.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.