Low Calorie Strawberry Snowcaps
Fresh, juicy strawberries and orange pieces served in hollowed-out orange shells topped with a golden meringue.
1 pint basket California strawberries, stemmed
2 large navel oranges
2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
2 egg whites
Dash of salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Slice strawberries into bowl.
- Halve oranges. Remove segments with grapefruit spoon or sharp knife to bowl with strawberries; reserve shells.
- Add liqueur to fruit; toss and chill.
- Meanwhile, pull out membranes from orange shells, being careful not to puncture.
- Spoon strawberry mixture into shells. Place in shallow baking pan.
- To make meringue, beat egg whites and salt until foamy and opaque. Gradually beat in sugar to form stiff peaks.
- Cover top of each orange shell with meringue, spreading to edges to cover fruit.
- Bake about 5 minutes until lightly browned. Chill.
- Garnish with additional strawberries and mint leaves, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 123 calories; 3.0 g protein; 0.4 g fat; 25.0 g carbohydrate; 0 mg cholesterol; 64 mg sodium.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.