New York-Style Cheesecake
Dense, rich and creamy lemon-scented vanilla cheesecake with a vanilla crumb crust—gloriously crowned with a sweet raspberry topping.
2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (8-ounces or about 56 wafers)
2 large egg whites
5 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 (12-ounce) package frozen slightly sweetened raspberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup maple syrup
- For Crust: Stir together crumbs and 2 egg whites until thoroughly blended. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and 2 1/2-inches up sides of lightly greased 9 x 3-inch springform pan. Chill.
- For Fillng: In large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, flour, lemon peel and vanilla at high speed until fluffy. Add 5 eggs and 2 egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in cream. Pour into chilled crust.
- Bake in preheated 500°F (260°C) oven 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 250°F (120°C) and bake until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, an additional 50 to 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Spread cooled topping over top. Chill until firm, at least 8 hours or overnight. To serve, remove rim of pan and cut into wedges. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- For Raspberry Topping: Drain raspberries, reserving syrup. Set aside. Add water to syrup, if necessary to make 1/2 cup. Set aside.
- In small saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in reserved raspberry liquid and maple syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Boil 1 minute. Stir in reserved raspberries. Cool to room temperature before serving.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Egg Board.