New York Cheesecake
Creamy, smooth, rich and dense citrus-scented cheesecake in a zesty, vanilla pastry crust.
2 vanilla beans
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
- For Crust: Split 2 vanilla beans lengthwise, scrape the seeds into a medium bowl, and stir in flour, sugar, and lemon peel. Add in egg yolk, diced butter and salt. Knead the mixture until it just forms a dough. Flatten the dough into a round and chill, wrapped in waxed paper, for 1 hour.
- Remove the sides of a 9-inch springform pan, and lightly oil the bottom of the pan. Press two-thirds of the dough, about 1/8-inch thick, onto the bottom of the pan. Bake in a preheated 400°F (205°C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown; remove from oven and chill.
- Meanwhile butter the sides of the pan, attach to the bottom, and press the remaining dough, 1/8-inch thick, to the side, sealing to the bottom crust. Set aside.
- For Filling: In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese with sugar, slowly add in flour, orange peel, lemon peel and vanilla until the mixture is smooth. Gradually add in eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, beating lightly after each addition. Stir in cream.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake in a 500°F (260°C) oven for 12 minutes. Reduce temperature to 200°F (95°C) and bake for 60 minutes more.
- Cool in the pan on a rack.
- Chill, and then remove the sides.
Makes 12 servings.