Orange Upside-Down Cheesecake
This easy, no-bake orange cheesecake's chocolate crumb crust starts out on top, but ends up on bottom when inverted onto a serving plate.
2 (0.25-ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 cups orange juice - divided use
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar - divided use
2 oranges, peeled
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- For Filling: In a saucepan, soften 1 envelope unflavored gelatin in 1 1/2 cups orange juice. Add 1/4 cup sugar and stir over low heat until dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
- Arrange the sections from peeled oranges on the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Pour the gelatin mixture over the oranges; chill until thickened again but not set.
- Meanwhile, soften 1 envelope unflavored gelatin in 1/2 cup orange juice; stir over low heat until dissolved. Combine softened cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and grated orange peel; mixing at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Gradually add the gelatin mixture; mixing until well blended. Chill until slightly thickened.
- When thickened, fold in cream whipped to soft peaks. Pour over the orange sections and chill.
- For Crust: Combine chocolate wafer crumbs and melted butter; gently press onto the top of the cheesecake. Chill. Loosen from the rim of the pan and invert onto a serving plate. Remove the rim of the pan.
Makes 12 servings.