Golden, crisp phyllo tarts with a festive orange-scented pineapple and fig filling.
4 ounces figs, chopped
1 (8.25-ounce) can crushed pineapple chunks, undrained
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
4 ounces phyllo dough
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a saucepan, combine finely chopped figs, crushed pineapple chunks (undrained), water, and grated orange peel. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thick.
- Divide large sheets of phyllo dough; placing on a wax paper lined cutting board. Brush each evenly with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Cut into 3-inch squares.
- In a well-greased muffin tin, stagger sliced phyllo dough per muffin tin, completely covering the bottom and sides.
- Evenly divide and spoon about 1 teaspoon of the fruit filling in each cup.
- Bake for 12 to15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool before removing from the pan.
Makes 6 miniature tarts.