Delightful, smooth and flavorful pineapple and strawberry rice cream.
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup (drain; reserve syrup)
2 cups cooked rice
1 (10-ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries, thawed - divided use
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large fresh egg whites*
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream, whipped and sweetened to taste
- Soften gelatin in pineapple syrup; heat to dissolve.
- Combine gelatin, pineapple, rice, 1/2 cup strawberries (including syrup) and vanilla.
- Whip egg whites with sugar and salt until stiff but not dry; fold into rice mixture. Fold half of whipped cream into mixture.
- Spoon into individual molds (about 3/4 cup each). Chill until firm.
- Unmold onto cold plates and top with a dollop of whipped cream and remaining strawberries.
Makes 6 servings.
*We suggest using a pasteurized egg white product for this recipe.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.