Rice Pudding Crêpes with Orange Sauce
Tender, yet toothsome, orange-scented brown rice crêpes filled with creamy rice pudding and topped with a sweet orange sauce.
1 1/3 cups skim milk - divided use
4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon melted margarine
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar - divided use
2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice - divided use
Vegetable cooking spray
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened orange juice
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 teaspoons cornstarch
- For Crêpes: Combine 1/3 cup milk, egg whites and margarine in medium bowl. Stir in flour and 1 tablespoon sugar until smooth and well blended. Stir in 1 cup rice; let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat nonstick skillet or crêpe pan; coat with cooking spray. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into pan. Lift pan off heat; quickly tilt pan in rotating motion so that bottom of pan is completely covered with batter. Place pan back on heat and continue cooking until surface is dry, about 45 seconds. Turn crêpe over and cook 15 to 20 seconds; set aside. Continue with remaining crêpe batter. Place wax paper between crêpes.
- For Pudding: Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups rice, remaining 1 1/3 cups milk, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, orange peel and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often. Stir in vanilla.
- For Orange Sauce: Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until thickened. (Or combine in a glass measure and heat in microwave oven for 1 to 2 minutes, until hot and thickened.)
- To Serve: Spoon warm rice pudding mixture into crêpes. Spoon Orange Sauce over crêpes.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.