Roll-The-Can Ice Cream
When summer days are long and hot, give the kids something cool and fun to do—making ice cream!
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups crushed ice
2 cups coarse salt
1/3 cup sliced, hulled and cleaned strawberries
- Thoroughly clean a large and a small coffee can with lids.
- In smaller can, combine cream, half-and-half, sugar and vanilla. Cover with lid and place in the center of larger can. Pack 3 cups ice around smaller can along with 1 cup salt.
- Roll can back and forth across a hard, level surface for 10 minutes.
- With a spatula, scrape ice cream to center and stir in strawberries. Repack larger can with remaining ice and salt. Continue rolling until firm, about 5 minutes. Keep frozen.
- Makes about one quart of ice cream.
Makes about 1 quart.