Season's Best Strawberry Shortcake
This version of the quintessential spring and summertime dessert, strawberry shortcake, is served with honey-sweetened strawberries with a luscious embellishment of sweetened whipped cream.
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 pints strawberries, sliced
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter, chilled
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
1 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
- For Topping: Combine honey and lemon juice in medium bowl. Stir in strawberries. Chill.
- For Shortcake: Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add sour cream; mix in lightly with fork. With fork, stir in just enough milk to form soft dough.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with 3-inch biscuit cutter. Re-roll dough as necessary to make six shortcakes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- For Cream: Beat cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in sour cream. Chill.
- When ready to serve, split shortcakes in half. Place bottom half on serving plates. Top with half of strawberries and half of cream; repeat layers.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.