Slim 'N Trim Cheesecake
A tasty no-bake, low-fat, crustless cheesecake flavored with citrus, vanilla and almond.
4 large fresh eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups orange juice
2 (0.25-ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup granulated sugar*
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In medium saucepan, beat together egg yolks and orange juice until blended. Sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand 1 minute. Cook over medium-heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and almond extract.
- Pour into blender container; add cottage cheese. Cover and blend at high speed until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, until misture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon, about 45 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed until stiff but not dry, just until whites no long slip when bowl is tilted. Gently, but thoroughly, fold chilled gelatin mixture into whites.
- Pour into lightly greased 8 to 9-inch springform pan or 10-inch pie plate.
- Chill until set, several hours or overnight. Garnish with strawberries, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
*To reduce the amount of calories, substitute low-calorie sweetener to equal 1/2 cup sugar.