Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Springtime brings fresh strawberries and rhubarb and the opportunity make delicious desserts like this one.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 pint baskets California strawberries, stemmed and halved -divided use
3 cups rhubarb slices (1/3-inch thick)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Prepare Crisp Topping: In large bowl mix all ingredients except butter and oats to blend thoroughly. With pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in oats; set aside.
- Prepare Strawberry-Rhubarb Filling: In another large bowl mix 4 cups of the strawberries (reserve remaining strawberries), the rhubarb, sugar and cornstarch to blend thoroughly. Spoon into shallow 2-quart baking dish. Cover evenly with Crisp Topping.
- Bake in center of oven about 40 minutes until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned. Cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with reserved strawberries. Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 323 calories; 10 g fat; 23 mg cholesterol; 128 mg sodium; 58 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 3 g protein.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.