Ready-made pound cake, instant pudding and a can of whipped cream provide the shortcuts for making the classic spring and summertime dessert, strawberry shortcake.
1 (11.5-ounce) package frozen pound cake, thawed
1 (0.25-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin (1 tablespoon)
1/4 cup water
1 (3.75-ounce) package lemon flavor instant pudding and pie filling
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (optional)
1 large egg white, unbeaten
1 pint fresh California strawberries, sliced*
1 (7-ounce) can refrigerated whipped cream
Strawberries for garnish
- Cut pound cake lengthwise into 2 layers, and arrange side by side in 8-inch square cake pan (cut sides up).
- In saucepan, soften gelatin in water; dissolve over low heat. Set aside.
- Prepare pudding following package directions except reduce milk to 1 3/4 cups. Beat in dissolved gelatin and lemon juice. Let set 5 minutes.
- Add egg white to pudding mixture. Beat on highest electric mixer speed 5 minutes.
- Fold berries into mixture. Pour over cake in pan. Chill until firm enough to cut, at least 1 hour.
- To Serve: Cut into squares. Top with a puff of whipped light cream and a whole strawberry.
Makes 9 servings.
*Substitute (1 pound) package frozen whole-unsweetened strawberries for fresh strawberries. Thaw just enough to slice. Drain in colander, reserving liquid for other uses. Then fold into mixture, as directed above.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.