Ultimate Strawberry Cheesecake
This classic New York-style cheesecake, embellished with crushed, fresh strawberries is the quintessential luxury cake for a special occasions.
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 cups cottage cheese
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 cups sour cream
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup crushed strawberries
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar; mix to blend. Spread in bottom of a 9-inch springform pan; set aside.
- Press cottage cheese through a sieve into a large mixing bowl; add softened cream cheese. Beat on high setting with an electric mixer until well blended. Beat in sugar, then eggs. Reduce mixer speed to low; beat in cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add butter and sour cream; beat until smooth. Pour into reserved springform pan. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until firm around the edge. Turn oven off; leave cheesecake in closed oven for two additional hours. Remove from oven; refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare glaze by mixing corn syrup, water and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Blend until smooth. Add strawberries; bring boil for 1 minute. Strain into a small mixing bowl. Stir in lemon juice and (optional) red food coloring. Cool slightly, then drizzle on top. Smooth with a knife.
- Refrigerate until time to serve.
Makes 12 servings.