Angela Tustin's Blueberry and Lemon Thyme Scones
with Sweet Lemon Cream
These moist, light scones with a golden crusty exterior are served warm with a sweet lemon cream.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups soft cake flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
4 ounces butter, cubed
1/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1/2 cup dried blueberries
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3 sprigs lemon thyme, stems removed, whole leaves
Sweet Lemon Cream:
8 ounces Neufchatel cream cheese
3 tablespoons Splenda® Sugar Blend
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Scones: Combine the first 11 ingredients except butter and buttermilk into a large mixing bowl. Add cubed butter and press butter into dry mixture by hand until butter mixture is coarse, not smooth (this is especially fun for the kiddies, but beware, it can get messy).
- Add buttermilk slowly and mix dough together until lightly combined. Remove dough to a floured surface and knead until ingredients are blended but dough is not over worked.
- Roll dough with a rolling pin until 2/3-inch thick. Cut out with a 2 round cutter (re- roll dough when needed) and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for approximately 6 minutes until tops of scones are golden brown. Remove from oven and serve warm with Sweet Lemon Cream.
- Sweet Lemon Cream: Place the remaining ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer. Whip on medium speed until mixture is fluffy and homogeneous. Serve with Blueberry and Lemon Thyme Scones.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 270 | Calories from Fat 110 | Fat 13g (sat 8g) | Cholesterol 35mg | Sodium 350mg | Carbohydrates 32g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 13g | Protein 5g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.