Baked Ricotta Custard
This recipe, created by chef Gale Gand, when compared to a traditional recipe, has an 11% reduction in calories, a 37% reduction in carbohydrates, and a 48% reduction in sugar.
1 1/2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese (12 ounces total)
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup Splenda® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup half-and-half
Optional Garnish: mint leaves, fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add ricotta cheese; beat until blended. Gradually add Splenda® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular beating until blended.
- Add eggs gradually, beating until blended. Add egg white and beat until blended. Add vanilla and cream, beating until blended.
- Pour mixture into 8 (8-ounce) ramekins; place ramekins in a roasting pan. Add hot water to pan to a depth of 1-inch.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 250°F for 45 minutes or until custards are set. Custards will puff slightly and remain white. Remove from water bath and cool on a wire rack. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Garnish, if desired.
Makes 8 (8-ounce) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Total Calories 350, Calories from fat 250, Total fat 28 g, Saturated fat 16 g, Cholesterol 140 mg, Sodium 190 mg, Total Carbohydrate 19 g, Sugars 3 g, Dietary Fiber 3 g, Protein 9 g.
Exchanges Per Serving: 1 1/2 starches, 1 medium fat meat, 4 fats.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.