Banana Cream Pie
A decadent looking pie that has 39% less calories than the traditional recipe. No flavor is lost, just calories!
Pie pastry for single crust 9-inch pie
1 1/4 cups Equal® Spoonful*
7 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups 2% milk
2 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- Pierce bottom of pie pastry with tines of a fork. Bake in preheated 375°F oven 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, combine Equal®, cornstarch and salt in medium size saucepan. Whisk in milk until mixture is smooth. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute or until thickened.
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl until smooth. Stir about 1/2 cup hot milk mixture into eggs. Whisk egg mixture back into mixture in saucepan. Cook over very low heat, whisking constantly, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine chopped bananas and lemon juice. Fold into milk mixture. Spoon into baked pie shell. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until filling is set.
- Spread prepared whipped topping over filling. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Makes 8 servings.
*May substitute 30 packets Equal sweetener
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): calories 228, protein 5 g, carbohydrate 34 g, fat 8 g, cholesterol 62 mg, sodium 206 mg.
Food Exchanges: 1 milk, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.