This diabetic-friendly berry-cherry pie is easy when you start with refrigerated pie crusts. Serve warm and top with a scoop of low-fat frozen vanilla yogurt.
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
1 (14.5-ounce) can pitted tart red cherries, undrained
1 (12-ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed
1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed
1 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Unroll and fit one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate; set aside.
- Drain cherries, raspberries, and blueberries (if frozen), reserving 1 cup of the juices. Set berries and juice aside.
- Combine Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in reserved juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in butter and reserved fruit. Cool slightly and spoon mixture into pie shell.
- Unroll remaining pie crust; roll to 1/8-inch thickness: place over filling. Fold edges under and crimp. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden. Cover edges with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with a scoop of frozen low-fat vanilla yogurt, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 330 | Calories from Fat 170 | Fat 19g (sat 6g) | Cholesterol 10mg | Sodium 290mg | Carbohydrates 37g | Fiber 4g | Sugars 7g | Protein 4g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.