Hearty, diabetic-friendly, low-fat and low-sugar bran muffins.
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 1/4 cup fat-free milk
2 tablespoons light margarine melted (50% less fat and calories)
1 cup bran cereal (not flakes)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup Splenda® Granular
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray muffin pan cups with vegetable cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In large bowl, combine egg substitute, milk, margarine and bran cereal. Stir until moist, about 30 seconds. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, Splenda® Granular and cream of tartar.
- Add flour mixture to moistened bran mixture and stir gently until blended, about 45 seconds. Do Not over mix.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups until they are half full. Bake for 20 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean when inserted into the center of muffin. Remove pan from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove muffins and place on wire rack to cool.
Makes 10 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Calories 80, Carbohydrates 15 g, Protein 3 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Total Fat 2 g, Saturated Fat 0.5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 310 mg.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.