Buñuelos are a deep-fried Mexican fritter coated in sugar and cinnamon, sweetener takes the place of sugar.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Equal® for Recipes or 3 packets Equal sweetener or 2 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into pieces
2 large egg whites, beaten
1/4 cup skim milk
6 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 20 packets Equal sweetener or 3/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons Equal® Spoonful™
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine flour, 1 teaspoon Equal®, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; cut in margarine with pastry blender until margarine is in very small pieces.
- Mix egg whites and milk; stir into flour mixture to make soft dough. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Shape dough into log; divide into 30 pieces. Roll each piece of dough on floured surface until almost paper thin; let stand on cookie sheets 15 to 30 minutes.
- Heat 2-inches oil to 375°F (190°C) in saucepan or deep skillet. Fry dough, a few pieces at a time, until puffed and golden, about 30 seconds on each side. Drain well on paper toweling.
- Combine 6 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes and cinnamon in small bowl, sprinkle each warm buñuelo with scant 1/4 teaspoon mixture. Serve warm.
Makes 30 buñuelos.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 40 cal., 1 g pro., 7 g carbo., 1 g fat, 0 mg chol., 40 mg sodium.
Food Exchange: 1/2 Bread.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.