California Sunshine Bread
Homemade yeast bread with the delicious flavor of citrus.
1/4 cup lukewarm water (110°F to 115°F | 45°C)
1 tablespoon honey
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
2/3 cup fresh orange juice, warmed to room temperature
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Combine lukewarm water, honey, and dry yeast in a large bowl, stirring until completely dissolved.
- Add warm orange juice and stir until well blended. Add 1 cup of the flour gradually, beating until smooth. Cover bowl and set in a warm place until bubbly and light, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add salt, olive oil, grated orange and lemon peels; stir gently to mix. Stir in remaining flour gradually, mixing well.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Place in a large, oiled bowl, turning dough around to to coat all sides. Cover bowl; set in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Knead on lightly floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Shape into a loaf and place in an oiled 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake bread for 35 to 45 minutes or until it tests done. Remove bread from pan immediately and cool completely on wire rack. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.
Makes 1 (1 1/2-pound) loaf.
Tip: To make in bread machine, place ingredients in the bread pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select Sweet bread cycle and start machine.
Food Exchange Per Serving: 1 Starch Exchange per 1-ounce slice.
Low-sodium diets: Omit salt.