Carrot Zucchini Bread
Diabetic-friendly, low-fat and low-sugar carrot zucchini bread.
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup shredded peeled zucchini
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 8 x 4-inch loaf pans. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the first 8 ingredients.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add alternately with orange juice to carrot mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on wire rack; remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 2 loaves (16 slices each); 32 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/32 of recipe; 1 slice): 68 calories, 110 mg sodium, trace cholesterol,15 gm carbohydrate, 2gm protein, trace fat.
Food Exchange: 1 starch.