Chocolate and Vanilla Sugar Cookies
Make checkerboards, stripes, and pinwheels with this versatile cookie dough.
3 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Gradually add Splenda® Sugar Blend, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Melt chocolate in a 1-cup glass measuring cup at HIGH in a microwave oven for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring twice. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to Splenda® Sugar Blend mixture, beating until blended. Do not over beat. Divide dough into half. Stir melted chocolate into half of mixture.
- Place dough on a lightly floured work surface.
- For Checker Board Cookies: Shape chocolate dough into 2 rectangular logs approximately 1-inch in diameter. Repeat procedure with vanilla dough. Cut each log lengthwise into quarters. Reassemble logs, alternating chocolate and vanilla to form a checkerboard pattern. Proceed as directed below.
- For Pinwheel Cookies: Roll chocolate dough into 2 (8 x 9-inch) rectangles. Roll vanilla dough into 2 (8 x 10-inch rectangles) Place the vanilla layer on bottom so that it extends 1 inch beyond the chocolate layer; roll as for a jellyroll. Proceed as directed below.
- For Striped Cookies, divide each flavor into 3 balls. Roll each ball into a 7 1/2 x 3-inch rectangle; cut each rectangle into 5 (1 1/2 x 3-inch strips). Stack 5 strips alternating chocolate and vanilla. Proceed as directed below.
- Wrap logs in plastic wrap and chill cookie dough for one hour or until slightly firm. (Dough can be frozen up to three months at this point).
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Slice cookies 1/4-inch thick and place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool slightly on cookie sheets; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 36 cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (2 cookies): Calories 140 | Calories from Fat 60 | Fat 6g (sat 3.5g) | Cholesterol 25mg | Sodium 30mg | Carbohydrates 17g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 7g | Protein 2g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.