Chocolate Cherry Muffins
These moist, chocolaty muffins are great for breakfast or treat anytime.
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (205°C). Place paper baking cups in muffin pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder and soda; set aside.
- Beat eggs and Splenda® Granulated Sweetener at high speed with an electric mixer 5 minutes. Add butter and vanilla; beat at medium speed until blended, about 1 minute.
- Add cocoa mixture; beat at low speed until blended. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed, just until blended after each addition. Stir in the cherries and walnuts. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin pans, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Remove from pans immediately and cool on a wire rack.
Makes 9 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 muffin): Calories 280 | Calories from Fat 150 | Fat 17g (sat 8g) | Cholesterol 75mg | Sodium 250mg | Carbohydrates 29g | Fiber 3g | Sugars 8g | Protein 7g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.