Cinnamon-Pecan Monkey Bread with Homemade Dough
A sweet homemade yeast bread made by piling small balls of cinnamon-sweetened dough into a Bundt pan.
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup butter
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/2 cup warm water (100°F to 110°F | 40°C to 45°C)
1/3 cup egg substitute
3 tablespoons Splenda® Sugar Blend
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons 2% milk
1/4 cup Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat and add 1/3 cup butter, stirring until butter melts. Let stand until mixture cools to at least 110°F | 45°C (about 10 minutes).
- Combine yeast and 1/2 cup warm water in a glass measuring cup; let mixture stand 5 minutes.
- Beat egg substitute, Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking, and salt at medium speed using a heavy-duty stand mixer. Add yeast mixture and butter mixture, beating on low speed until blended. Gradually add flour, beating on low speed until blended.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a well greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and chill 8 hours or up to 3 days.
- Combine Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
- Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with vegetable cooking spray. Prepare sauce; pour sauce in bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Punch dough down and roll into 1-inch balls. Dip each ball into melted butter and into Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend mixture. Place in pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F | 30°C ), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) about 10 minutes prior to baking.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Serve immediately.
- Combine butter, milk, Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend dissolves. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; boil 1 minute.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 310 | Calories from Fat 110 | Fat 12g (sat 7g) | Cholesterol 25mg | Sodium 260mg | Carbohydrates 41g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 13g | Protein 5g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.