Currant and Cornmeal Tea Cookies
Low-fat and low-sugar cornmeal tea cookies with currants.
1/2 cup light butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup Splenda® Granular
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 tablespoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Orange Peel
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Saigon Cinnamon
1/2 cup currants
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Lightly oil a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Blend together butters, Splenda® Granular and vanilla in a medium sized mixing bowl. Blend until butter is softened. Add egg substitute and zest. Mix briefly. Add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix using low speed (or by hand) briefly, until dough is formed. Add currants. Do Not over mix.
- Remove dough from bowl and divide in half. Roll each half into a log approximately 1-inch thick in circumference. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze approximately 1 hour, allowing dough to chill.
- Remove dough from freezer, unwrap and cut into slices approximately 1/4-inch thick. Place cookies on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 54 cookies (4 cookies per serving).
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/54 of recipe; 4 cookies): Total Calories 120, Calories from Fat 63, Total Fat 3.4 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 90 mg, Total Carbohydrate 12 g, Dietary Fiber 0 g, Sugars 0 g, Protein 2 g.
Dietary Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.