Double Layer Chocoholic Cake
A traditional two layer chocolate cake that's diabetic-friendly.
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup water or coffee
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Coat two 8-inch cake pans with cooking spray. Dust with flour. Set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add Splenda® Sugar Blend, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla; mixing until blended.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine water or coffee and milk. Set aside.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix on low speed until well blended. Add water and milk and mix on low speed until well blended. Add remaining flour mixture and beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
Makes 16 servings.
Optional Garnish: Spread reduced-fat whipped topping between layers and on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with decorative sprinkles, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories: 260; Calories from Fat: 100; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 65mg; Sodium: 210mg; Total Carbs: 35g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 17g; Protein: 5g.
Exchanges Per Serving: (1/16th cake, no frosting): 2 1/2 Starches, 2 Fats.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.