Dutch Apple Pancake
Diabetic-friendly, reduced fat and low-sugar Dutch apple oven pancake.
4 large eggs
3/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 4 1/2 packets Equal® Sweetener or 3 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon margarine
5 large cooking apples, sliced
2 tablespoons margarine
5 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 18 packets or 3/4 cup Equal® Spoonful™
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 dashes ground allspice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup apple cider
4 teaspoon cornstarch
- Mix eggs, milk, flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 4 1/2 packets Equal® Sweetener or 3 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™, and salt in medium bowl (batter will be slightly lumpy).
- Heat 1 tablespoon margarine in 12-inch oven-proof skillet until bubbly; pour batter into skillet.
- Bake pancake in preheated 425°F (220°C) oven 20 minutes; reduce temperature to 350°F (175°C) and bake until crisp and golden, 7 to 10 minutes (do not open oven door during baking). Transfer pancake to large serving plate.
- Meanwhile, sauté apples in 2 tablespoons margarine in large skillet until apples begin to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Mix in 5 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 18 packets Equal® Sweetener or 3/4 cup Equal® Spoonful™, spices and lemon juice. Add 3/4 cup cider and heat to boiling. Mix cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup cider; add to boiling mixture, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Spoon apple mixture into pancake. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 236 cal., 5 g pro., 39 g carbo., 7 g fat, 107mg chol., 162 mg sodium.
Food Exchanges: 1 Fruit, 1 1/2 Bread, 1/2 Meat, 1 Fat.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.