Who can resist a warm freshly baked gingerbread cake? This is a reduced calorie version that doesn't sacrifice flavor.
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray Bundt pan with butter-flavored cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pour applesauce, molasses, and vegetable oil into a large mixing bowl. Add eggs. Stir well.
- Blend remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to the applesauce mixture. Stir well.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack approximately 20 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate. Serve warm or cool.
Makes 12 servings.
- Serve with sautéed apples or non-dairy topping.
- Place 1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated Sweetener in a blender. Blend covered, on high approximately 30 seconds. Sprinkle the finely ground Splenda over the cake like powdered sugar.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 170; Calories from Fat: 45; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 35mg; Sodium: 240mg; Total Carbs: 29g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 11g; Protein: 3g.
Exchanges Per Serving: 2 Starches, 1 Fat.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.