Gourmet Sweet Potato Casserole
Once you taste this, you won’t ever go back to the marshmallow-topped variety. The potatoes taste the same no matter how you cook them — oven-baked, microwaved, or boiled. So, use the technique that works best for you.
5 orange-fleshed sweet potatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/4 cup light butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake sweet potatoes 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until they begin to soften. Cool slightly, peel, and mash.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, salt, half-and-half, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon and Splenda® Granulated Sweetener. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, honey, chopped pecans, and oats. Mix in flour with a pastry blender or your fingers to create the consistency of course meal. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until topping is crisp and lightly browned.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 230 | Calories from Fat 70 | Fat 7g (sat 2.5g) | Cholesterol 65mg | Sodium 150mg | Carbohydrates 36g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 20g | Protein 5g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.