Grilled Chicken with Cherry Apple Chutney
Brining is the secret to marvelously tender and delicious chicken pieces. Grill them up and serve with a sweet and tangy chutney made from cherries and tart apples.
1/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 cup hot tap water
3 cups cold water
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
Cherry Apple Chutney:
1 cup pitted tart cherries (thawed, if frozen)
1/2 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped red onions
1/4 cup Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
1/4 cup dried cherries
1 tablespoon brewed strong coffee
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 grated peel of 1/2 lemon
1/3 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- For Chicken: Combine Splenda® Sugar Blend, salt, and hot water in 1-gallon zipper-lock plastic bag and shake to dissolve Splenda® Sugar Blend and salt. Add cold water and chicken. Press air out of bag, seal, and refrigerate 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- For Cherry Apple Chutney: In medium steel saucepan, combine tart cherries, apples, onions, Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend, dried cherries, coffee, vinegar, lemon peel, and cayenne. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft and most of liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and stir in juice concentrate and mint. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from brine and discard brine. Refrigerate chicken until ready to serve (up to 1 day). Pat chicken dry with paper towels and sprinkle all over with pepper. Let rest at room temperature 20 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Brush grill grate and coat with oil.
- Put chicken on grill, cover, and cook 5 to 7 minutes per side, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear (about 170°F / 80°C on an instant-read thermometer). Brush with oil during last 5 minutes. Serve with chutney.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 270 | Calories from Fat 80 | Fat 9g (sat 2.0g) | Cholesterol 70mg | Sodium 5760mg | Carbohydrates 21g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 22g | Protein 22g.
Recipe and photograph are courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.