Kevin Rathbun's Apple-Mint Strudel
Layers of crisp paper-thin phyllo encase a mint flavored apple filling for this popular European treat.
4 medium-size Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
3/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
2 tablespoons apple cider
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
5 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
5 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons Splenda® Sugar Blend
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Combine apples, Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking, and apple cider in a heavy saucepan; cook on medium high heat until apples are slightly translucent (about 8 minutes). Remove from heat; add flour, stirring until thoroughly blended. Stir in mint. Set aside.
- Unfold phyllo, and cover remaining sheets with a damp towel to prevent it drying out. Place 1 phyllo sheet on waxed paper; brush with melted butter and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking. Repeat process 4 times.
- Spoon apple filling along 1 long side of phyllo leaving a 1-inch border on 1 long edge and 2 short edges. Fold over short edges of phyllo to cover 1 inch of apple filling on each end.
- Roll up, starting at long edge with 1-inch border. Do not roll tightly or strudel may split. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet. Cut 1/4-inch deep slits, 1-inch apart, across top. Brush strudel with butter and sprinkle with remaining Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 270 | Calories from Fat 70 | Fat 8g (sat 4.5g) | Cholesterol 20mg | Sodium 130mg | Carbohydrates 42g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 29g | Protein 2g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.